Saturday, August 21, 2010

What kind of pump should I use for a project that requires me to pump honey at controlled speeds.?

I am building a machine to fill jars with honey and have the controls necessary to control stepper motors and jar placement. I need a pump that can pump food stuffs at controlable rates at a continuous rate. From what I have a read, a gear, or lobe pump would be ideal. What woudl be a good source of such a pump?What kind of pump should I use for a project that requires me to pump honey at controlled speeds.?
Viking makes very good gear pumps, and I think they sell ones that are food contact rated.


Note that gear and other positive displacement pumps can reach very high pressures if deadheaded, with consequent hazards. Viking will sell you one with a relief valve built right into the pump head.


So instead of having any shutoff valve downstream of the pump, use a 3-way valve and bleed the pressure back to the supply tank.





You are going to need some serious pressure to get the honey into the jars at a reasonable speed, or perhaps if you warm it....








THere at least used to be an annual food and packaging equipment show annually at McCormick Place in Chicago.





Pfaudler at least used to make some nice filling machines.What kind of pump should I use for a project that requires me to pump honey at controlled speeds.?
I think the best one you can use is gear pump or maybe if high pressure is required you can use ram(piston) pump.


but I think gear pump is more use full
It also has to be food grade and fully cleanable.


Start at www.mscdirect.com and www.grainger.com, both are industrial parts suppliers. Or Google for 'food grade pumps'
A screw or lobe type is preferred for clean application such as this. A VSD can be used to control speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment